Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Addie's New Crib Bumpers

So when I was pregnant I knew I wanted to have a black and white nursery with some red accents. It was a no-brainer. I figured it would be a good neutral color scheme for a girl or boy. Little did I know it would be impossible to find black and white crib bedding. Everything had brown in it! There are a few sets on the market but most are exorbitantly priced or not high quality. It was so frustrating. A few of my friends went in to get me a bedding set from Wal-Mart that looked like it would work perfectly. But sadly the bumper did not wrap all the way around the crib. So I was back and square one. Because I was pregnant and running out of time, I ended up just buying some plain white bumpers and red sheets. My co-worker Pam made a black, white and red quilt and my mom made the crib skirt so we at least had some patterns in there. Here is what it looked like before:


A couple of weeks ago Jimmy commented on how thin our bumpers were and how Addie kept bumping her head on the bars. So I decided to finally suck up the courage and make Addie some new bumpers even though I'm not that experienced with sewing. I found some bumpers at a consignment sale for $8 and luckily the covers were removable so I could just pull out the padding. I couldn't find a good tutorial online for making a 4-piece bumper so I ended up just winging it. I think it turned out great! I decided to just do ribbon ties since making your own bias tape would have added a lot of extra cutting and sewing. Looking back I probably should have used a pattern so my lines were a little straighter. But all in all it wasn't too bad of a project for a beginning sewer like me.





3 comments:

whitney said...

So great! They seriously turned out so fabulous!

Cami and Juan said...

Love love love. I scrolled down slowly to add to the suspense, and the pattern is PERFECT. Better than anything I imagined.

Amanda said...

Oh wow!!!! I am soooo impressed! I can't believe you made that AND without a pattern. Wow! I love how it turned out too. So cute!