Monday, October 26, 2009

Carving Pumpkins and Pumpkin Cake

Jimmy's friends from med school came over on Saturday with their wives (who are now my friends). We watched "The Proposal" and carved pumpkins! Here are Jimmy, Seth, Tara and Tyson carving away.
Tara, Eden and Seth:

Jimmy:
Tyson:

All of us (Seth, Tara, me, Jimmy, Bethany, Tyson and Eden)


Here's a close-up of our pumpkins (Bernice, Wall-E and little angry face). One of our neighbors commented that our pumpkin also looks like ET. Who knew he and Wall-E looked so similar?

We love little Eden. She's such a cutie!


My favorite fall dessert is pumpkin cake. I made it this week for book group and shared it with our friends on Saturday. This is what it looks like:

This is what it's made of:

Pumpkin Cake

1 box yellow cake mix - remove one cup and set aside. Add one stick of melted butter (or margarine) and one egg to the rest of the cake mix. Mix together. Press into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan (spray pan with Pam).

Into a large bowl put one can of pumpkin, three eggs, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup canned milk (evaporated milk), and 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon. Beat well and spread over cake mixture in the pan (it will be runny).

To the 1 cup reserved cake mix add 1/3-1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/3 cup and it's sufficient), 1/2 cup nuts (optional) and 1/2 stick softened (not melted) margarine or butter. Mix together and spoon onto the top of the pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Cool and serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Keep leftovers in the fridge.

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

mmmmmm. My mouth waters just looking at it! It was SO delicious!! Looks like pumpkin carving fun! Need to do it w/Gid QUICK!

Amanda said...

Wall-e?!? hahaha!!! That's too funny! You guys did a good job too. It looks just like him. I love that dessert soo much! A couple of weeks ago I really wanted to make it but I opened by can of pumpkin and it had gone bad. I ended up going to FIVE different stores and was unsuccessfully able to find ANY pumpkin. How crazy is that?! Apparently there was a shortage of pumpkin in Provo & even the warehouses were out lol.

The Finlinsons said...

Yay! That night was so fun! I love when we have all those get togethers...especially with desserts like that!!!!

Cami and Juan said...

That little Eden is adorable. Looks like such a fun night! I love fall food and activities.

Kendra Mitts said...

Wall-E. I have yet to finish that movie. I fall asleep everytime.
Did you guys have fun babysitting Mike and Elyse's kids.

tara said...

Thanks for having us over! And THANKS for posting the recipe to the heaven pumpkin cake!

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh. your pumpkin is SO cute and looks just like wall-e! I made that pumpkin thing last week for my first time. It is pretty good! Miss you!

Davis Family said...

Yum, I will have to try that pumpkin cake sometime. Love your carved pumpkins!