Friday, October 2, 2009

What I Miss About Provo

I've been really missing Provo this fall. It's probably because this was the first fall in four years that I'm not there! Fall is my favorite season and it's so pretty up in the Provo Canyon.

Some other things I miss about Provo:
-The first day of classes in a new semester
-The first Sunday at church in a new semester
-Seeing snow on Timp as I walked to school 8 months out of the year
-Fun ward activites with awesome food because the ward budgets were huge
-Walking or riding my bike everywhere (which meant we hardly ever bought gas)
-Running into everyone you could possibly know in one passing period on campus
-The BYU Creamery
-J-Dawgs
-Intramurals (especially Ultimate Frisbee)
-Being able to play a pick up game of Ultimate anytime with random people at Kiwanis Park
-Hot chocolate during finals week
-Free dances, volleyball games, basketball games, etc.
-My awesome friends in Union Square (love you guys!)
-Those few days of warm weather in March/April before you're hit with one last snowstorm
-Cinnamon bears from the BYU bookstore (both with and without chocolate)
-Pudding on the Rice
-Chicken Caesar Wraps from L&T
-Getting 10 boxes of cereal for $10 (they never have anything even close to that in Kansas)
-Bajio and Cafe Rio
-Feeding the ducks at the pond on 8th North
-Randomly seeing deer on campus and watching everyone freak out
-Going with Jimmy up to our spot on the mountain where we could see all of the valley
-Being able to go to the temple every month and only having to drive a few miles to get there (someday soon, KC!)

I could go on and on. Although I do really miss Provo and all my friends there, I know it was time for us to leave and move on with our lives. I'm so glad that we got to graduate from BYU and I can't wait to go back and visit sometime! My whole life I knew I wanted to go to BYU, and I hope my kids have that same dream. It really is an awesome place and I couldn't think of anywhere better to get an education.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh this really made me miss you guys!! J-Dawgs moved inside where that pizza place used to be, right by Smart Cookie. They're expanding!

Tiffany said...

We miss you guys too! Who knew we would miss Provo so much?!

The Finlinson Family said...

Yeah, I miss having family and friends close by. Its sad and lonely sometimes.

And I miss Cafe Rio...but I have the recipe to make my own cafe rio salads...and its really good (except the costco here doesn't sell uncooked tortillas that are my favorite...does the one close to you sell them?). It intimidates me because its a lot of work for just 2 people and a baby. But if we got everyone together, maybe we could eat and make a party out of it!

Alisa said...

ah....this makes me homesick for Provo as well. It's good to move on, I suppose, but seriously, there's just something about Provo!!

Devin & Rebecca said...

Pudding on the Rice closed! But everything besides that is still here, and still awesome.

Cami and Juan said...

Yay for Provo. It will always be here and remain mostly the same. So here's hoping your kids come out to BYU.

whitney said...

j-dawgs...mmmmmm.

There's just something fun about provo in the fall. You make me miss it.

Anonymous said...

I read a poll the other day done nationally and it said that OVERLAND PARK, KANSAS was the best place to grow up! Number one out of the whole country!! Crazy huh!? Feel lucky to be where you are :o) I hope to talk Mitch into "ending up" there, but we'll see! Wherever there's a job :o)

Davis Family said...

I do miss Provo as well. Your post reminded me of all the things I miss. Even though we know it is time to move on, sometimes I still get a little homesick for Provo; especially in the fall like you said. But Kansas will have lots of fond memories too!